Wimbledon: Nick Kyrgios fights back to beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in heated third-round match

Wimbledon: Nick Kyrgios fights back to beat Stefanos Tsitsipas in heated third-round match


Venue: All England Club Dates: 27 June-10 July
Coverage: Live across BBC TV, radio and online with extensive coverage on BBC iPlayer, Red Button, Connected TVs and mobile app.

Nick Kyrgios fought back to knock out Greek fourth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas and reach the Wimbledon fourth round in a dramatic and fiery four-set encounter in which both players were given warnings by the umpire.

In a remarkable, incident-packed match, Kyrgios called for Tsitsipas to be defaulted after the 23-year-old hit a ball into the crowd and narrowly missed a spectator when he lost the second set.

The Australian had already received a warning for an obscenity by then, while Tsitsipas was given a point penalty for a second code violation as he sent a ball away in frustration.

But it was 2014 quarter-finalist Kyrgios who eventually came through in an enthralling final tie-break with his second match point to win 6-7 (2-7) 6-4 6-3 7-6 (9-7) in front of a captivated crowd under the Court One roof.

He will play American Brandon Nakashima next, after the 20-year-old world number 56 beat Colombian Daniel Galan 6-4 6-4 6-1.

Kyrgios emerges amid chaos of Tsitsipas battle

Once his meeting with Tsitsipas was confirmed, Kyrgios predicted an “amazing” match, assuming both of them managed to play to their potential.

Encircled by a boisterous Saturday night crowd and in a charged atmosphere, there was no shortage of drama as the players scrapped for supremacy in their first Grand Slam meeting.

The Australian prevailed when the players last met at the Halle Open in June, during which Kyrgios smashed his racquet and argued with the chair umpire after receiving a warning for time-wasting.

Here, Kyrgios had already repeatedly argued with the umpire Damien Dumusois over a line call when the first major flashpoint arrived at the end of the second set, as Tsitsipas risked striking a spectator when he sent a ball into the crowd in response to losing serve – and the second set.

It led the incensed Kyrgios to demand for the supervisor to determine if the Greek should be defaulted from the match. Instead, Tsitsipas received only a warning.

Kyrgios had already earned a warning of his own by that point but it was the Greek who appeared most agitated by the mayhem as he landed himself a point penalty for his second infraction.

The 2021 French Open finalist sent powerful winners in the direction of Kyrgios and cut an increasingly frustrated figure as the Australian turned the match in his favour.

Rising to the occasion, Kyrgios was keen to ensure the tension was interspersed with entertainment, a between-the-legs underarm serve delighting the crowd.

When Kyrgios served for the third set, Tsitsipas hit a ball into his chest and won the point but the Australian then benefited from two fortuitous net cords. After the first, he apologised to Tsitsipas. After the second, he bowed to the crowd and lapped up the applause, moments before a serve-volley sealed the third set.

As the light faded, the closure of the roof at 4-4 in the fourth set added an extra element of theatre to a chaotic sporting occasion.

And as the contest reached its crescendo, Tsitsipas crucially missed a set point when leading 5-4 in the fourth set and again when 7-6 up in the tie-break.

Kyrgios rallied, closing out the match with three successive points, a forehand drop shot bringing an end to a contest that will long live in the memory.

More to follow.

Around the BBC - SoundsAround the BBC footer - Sounds


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Us